Taking our maid back to the Uk | ExpatWoman.com

Taking our maid back to the Uk

Latest post on 21 March 2012 - 22:16

Hi ladies!

I am have been in the UK for the last six months and we want to bring our helper here in June however as I haven't been in Dubai since October the 31st my residence visa along with children's will be cancelled if i dont come nack before april 31st so my question is if I fly to Dubai say for a weekend just so my residence visa is not cancelled although my children's will be can we still sponsor our helper to come to the uk in June.

I hope this makes sense and someone can help.

Many thanks!

Latest post on 26 March 2012 - 08:40
The new rules also imply that only if you are a working visitor to the UK can you take a maid back for the max 6 months, so if you are a Brit forget it! exemption for diplomatic of course <em>edited by loube on 01/04/2012</em>
Latest post on 26 March 2012 - 08:36
read and weep Ladies http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/2012/march/43-changes-rules
Latest post on 26 March 2012 - 08:26
Hi, I haven't read all this thread but I am going through the process right now. I just wanted to tell you all that the laws in the UK change on April 6th this year. For applications on and after that date a maximum visa of six months will be granted and this visa cannot be renewed. The domestic worker will not be able to stay, renew, change visa category or anything. If you apply on 5th April or before the old rules apply which means a maid can get a max 12 month visa which is possible to renew for up to 5 years at which point she is entitled to a uk passport. Hope this is helpful to those considering it. So after april you can only employ someone for 6 months the they have to LEave ? You cannot apply for a new 6month visa? Tia
Latest post on 25 March 2012 - 20:54
Hi, I haven't read all this thread but I am going through the process right now. I just wanted to tell you all that the laws in the UK change on April 6th this year. For applications on and after that date a maximum visa of six months will be granted and this visa cannot be renewed. The domestic worker will not be able to stay, renew, change visa category or anything. If you apply on 5th April or before the old rules apply which means a maid can get a max 12 month visa which is possible to renew for up to 5 years at which point she is entitled to a uk passport. Hope this is helpful to those considering it.
Latest post on 25 March 2012 - 20:23
A freind of mine did it, it's worked our perfectly. They are now two years in the UK and maid and family are very happy. Maid has found a nice circle of friends. Minimum wage is not applicable in UK for domestic workers,, when you are providing accommodation, food, transportation etc . It was pretty easy process, although she had worked for the family for 2 years previously. Try it, you have nothing to lose.
Latest post on 22 March 2012 - 12:56
Just out of interest how does that then work? Do you pay uk minimum wage ? Or same salary as dxb? How much is the visa costs? Just being nosey. Yes you have to pay minimum wage but you can counter in accomadation, food and flights home health insurance and that should bring them under the tax bracket. From what I can gather the visa is around 1200 for 6 months. It's not a cheap option and you do have the risk of them running away Still thinking about it, it may be easier to have an au pair here instead.
Latest post on 22 March 2012 - 12:51
Okay so it looks like we may be okay if it is only my dh that has his visa. Thanks ladies!
Latest post on 22 March 2012 - 11:12
I'm guessing she'll also have to pay Income Tax if she earns over a certain amount?
Latest post on 22 March 2012 - 10:59
You might have a problem if she’s only worked for you for a year, I know they’re clamping down on giving visas to anyone outside the EU. I had to provide photos of my maid on holiday with us any evidence that she was an integral part of the family. You also need to prove that she won’t be a burden so no NHS doctors, dentists prescriptions etc. You will also need to pay her anything from £200 - £350 per week (dependant on where you live)
Latest post on 22 March 2012 - 10:41
Why would you want to do this when there are plenty of women in the UK that would suitably fill this role? I would imagine the rate of a housemaid absconding at their first opportunity is very high!
Latest post on 22 March 2012 - 10:36
You will need to book an appointment at the British Consulate and take over I think a bank Statement and a copy of the Contract and explain your reasons why you want to take her to the UK. My friend did and said its because its her sons nanny and he is attached to her etc etc. I think the cost is about 1200 aed. It took about 6 weeks for it to come through but im not sure what type of visa it was. 1 week into the holdiay to the UK the housemaid absconded so be careful.
Latest post on 22 March 2012 - 09:49
Just out of interest how does that then work? Do you pay uk minimum wage ? Or same salary as dxb? How much is the visa costs? Just being nosey.
Latest post on 22 March 2012 - 09:25
It depends what you are taking her for? Vacation or permanent? Sorry, I am a bit lost. Anyway, as long as the sponsor still has their visa and the maid has passed her 1 year then she can go on a visit visa (usually a 6 month multi entry for maids). That is all I know.
Latest post on 22 March 2012 - 08:34
Have you moved to the UK for a lengthy period of time? Surely this would be subject to UK immigration rules?
Latest post on 21 March 2012 - 22:26
It will be a year at the end of May.
Latest post on 21 March 2012 - 22:23
how long has she worked for you ... ?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY