Look in here before you buy your soil for your gardens and containers!! And stakes for plants short and tall! | ExpatWoman.com

Look in here before you buy your soil for your gardens and containers!! And stakes for plants short and tall!

Latest post on 19 September 2011 - 13:44

So, I want to start preparing for my tomatoes and peppers I want to grow. I already have stakes for the chili plants but need much taller ones for my tomatoes.

I went to Dubai Garden Centre on Sheikh Zayed Road close to MOE and the tall green colored stakes I wanted are 35 dhs each!! and I want 4 stakes for each pot (4 pots) to tie up some roap/wire to make a cage for the tomatoes. That is too expensive!

Well, I went to Daiso (at Arabian Center) to buy more paper pots and lo and behold, they sell the same tall stakes for 7 dhs each!!!! woo hoo!! They also have ones that are thicker but about 4"-5" shorter for 10 dhs each --and they have shorter stakes as well!

I don't know how much y'all pay for your potting soil, but at Ace Hardware, the 50ltr bags are 39 dirhams... though I am guessing it is a bit cheaper at the gardening souk/area (or Landscaper's Mart?) not sure what it is called LOL...

Well, I was wanting to make a mix of my own by finding some peat moss and desert sand etc.. just to save some money.

I googled "peat moss dubai" and found one company that sells peat moss, coco moss etc (Shalimar Herbals)...

So I called them yesterday and went to their head office today. They supply their products to the gardening shops all over UAE, which of course they buy wholesale and then mark up for profit.

Well, they sold me their stuff really cheap by directly buying from them!!

Lets see... let me make a list for y'all:

Bio-Tech Potting Soil (special mix for veg/fruit growing)-- 50ltr bags are 14 dhs

Agro Tech Potting Soil (all-purpose potting soil)-- 50ltr bags are 12 dhs

Bio Organic Compost (Vegetarian bio-organic compost 100% plant origin)-- 50ltr bags are 12 dhs

Peat Moss--Sphagnum or Black-- 300ltr bags are 40 dhs

Woo hoo!!

For those living near by, their factory is in Jebel Ali--if you wish to go there, their address is 640 Dubai Investment Park, tel- 04-884-9790

You can call this number and they will deliver (I ordered 25 bags of stuff...not sure if they will deliver really small orders...but you can call to ask)-- 04-223-9474

They sell herbal medicines too if any of you are into that stuff LOL

Anyhow, I am sooooo excited I found good prices on this stuff!!

I hope this info helps you guys too!

:D
<em>edited by Abaddon on 19/09/2011</em>

Latest post on 20 September 2011 - 12:35
Thank you so much for posting - I am about to do exactly the same, so will defo give these people a call!
Latest post on 20 September 2011 - 12:15

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY