Gluten wheat intolerances | ExpatWoman.com

Gluten wheat intolerances

Latest post on 09 September 2012 - 12:54

Seen lots of threads on here asking for alternative breads / pastas etc and always wonder why do those who have these intolerance just not embrace the fact that these foods are out of their diet and just forget about them rather than trying to duplicate or imitate the original? Especially when it appears that the alternatives and imitations are not as good.

Just wondering.

Latest post on 09 September 2012 - 16:46
ishehere, we eat very little processed foods. I only buy organic meat and buy organic fruit and vege were possible, I make everything from scratch, no packet mixes. My children enjoy crisps and chocolate as treats. Unfortunately my DS was diagnosed with wheat and dairy intolerance. Now try telling a 10 year old he can't have anything he previously enjoyed. It is painskaing to come up with nice things for him to eat, so yes we as mothers try to find alternatives that taste good and make our children feel like they are not missing out or being punished. Try taking wheat, dairy and eggs out of your diet and see how interesting it is! DS needs to feel he can still have things like the rest of the family. So when we have pasta bolognase he can have his wheat free version. We seek out each other opinions to try and find the best alternative. And yes you know very little about intolerance/allergies and how difficult it can be. <em>edited by TimTam on 09/09/2012</em>
Latest post on 09 September 2012 - 14:13
Well to be totally honest i eat very little processed food anyway, and generally make most things from scratch. And i admit that i know very little of intolerance; which is one of the reasons i was wondering, hence this was a genuine question. I also agree with Chocs that a lot of this could be due to the increase in processed foods etc; and was also wondering how many of these alternatives are actually quite natural or just heavily processed - are they in any way a healthier option.... if that makes sense. A medic friend once told me that from1950 to 2000 dead bodies took about 3 days longer to start decomposing due to all the preservatives in our body.
Latest post on 09 September 2012 - 14:04
Why is an alternative considered a 'fake'? You think that all that 'real' food you're eating isn't processed to extremes? When you live with an intolerance, then changes in what you eat simply become a way of life. But it would be far easier for people - of which there are plenty - to go be able to go to a gluten free section of a supermarket. Given that more and more people have an intolerance be it to gluten/wheat/lactose etc suggests that our bodies are not happy with the processed rubbish we generally are forced to consume everyday. In time it wouldn't surprise me in gluten free is the norm.
Latest post on 09 September 2012 - 14:01
But why keep duplicating the foods that make you sick? Does this not just perpetrate the feelings of missing out on all the "good stuff"? There are lots of healthy desserts that do not contain wheat - there are lots of cakes that do not contain wheat; could even make an ice cream cake; again no wheat; so comments about children missing out on a birthday cake are a bit left field. I rarely eat bread, pasta or wheat and I don't try and find "fakes" of them either, albeit i dont have any allergy to them, just feel healthier when i don't. So was just wondering why people do try and find alternatives to the foods that poison them - also in the long run doesn't this actually make it harder; having to constantly check packets and the fact that you "can't have" always being there as a reminder - if that makes sense. Was also wondering, aren't a lot of these alternatives really over processed foods - and are these actually good for people who are sensitive to what they eat? You realise that a gluten intolerance is more than just wheat right? Its any derivative of wheat, rye and barley. You also realise that some ice cream contains gluten too right? Doing it as a health kick is very different then not being able to have it. Anyone can give it up for a short period. You're right that some options are over-processed but some are not. This has to be a windup - not giving this thread anymore of my attention.
Latest post on 09 September 2012 - 13:59
It's not just foods that contain gluten/wheat, many medicines do too, as well as make-up etc. so perhaps those who have been diagnosed as Celiac or gluten intolerant shouldn't seek medical help when they become ill. It's also not true that the alternatives are not as good, my family and friends prefer the gluten free cakes, pies etc. that I bake. I think the OP should educate herself on the topic of gluten free and Celiacs and other food intolerances before making such a comment.
Latest post on 09 September 2012 - 13:58
But why keep duplicating the foods that make you sick? Does this not just perpetrate the feelings of missing out on all the "good stuff"? There are lots of healthy desserts that do not contain wheat - there are lots of cakes that do not contain wheat; could even make an ice cream cake; again no wheat; so comments about children missing out on a birthday cake are a bit left field. I rarely eat bread, pasta or wheat and I don't try and find "fakes" of them either, albeit i dont have any allergy to them, just feel healthier when i don't. So was just wondering why people do try and find alternatives to the foods that poison them - also in the long run doesn't this actually make it harder; having to constantly check packets and the fact that you "can't have" always being there as a reminder - if that makes sense. Was also wondering, aren't a lot of these alternatives really over processed foods - and are these actually good for people who are sensitive to what they eat? you just dont get it do you? There is plenty of bread that doesn't contain wheat.... who says only 'gluten bread' is the 'valid' bread and the other is fake? Should we put a stop to cornbread too? Been around for as long as wheat, but obviously not ok with you.
Latest post on 09 September 2012 - 13:54
But why keep duplicating the foods that make you sick? Does this not just perpetrate the feelings of missing out on all the "good stuff"? There are lots of healthy desserts that do not contain wheat - there are lots of cakes that do not contain wheat; could even make an ice cream cake; again no wheat; so comments about children missing out on a birthday cake are a bit left field. I rarely eat bread, pasta or wheat and I don't try and find "fakes" of them either, albeit i dont have any allergy to them, just feel healthier when i don't. So was just wondering why people do try and find alternatives to the foods that poison them - also in the long run doesn't this actually make it harder; having to constantly check packets and the fact that you "can't have" always being there as a reminder - if that makes sense. Was also wondering, aren't a lot of these alternatives really over processed foods - and are these actually good for people who are sensitive to what they eat?
Latest post on 09 September 2012 - 13:49
Seen lots of threads on here asking for alternative breads / pastas etc and always wonder why do those who have these intolerance just not embrace the fact that these foods are out of their diet and just forget about them rather than trying to duplicate or imitate the original? Especially when it appears that the alternatives and imitations are not as good. Just wondering. What a pointless, offensive, shallow minded thread! I hope you or your kids never get diagnosed with a food intolerance! cos I am sure you would change your mind pretty quickly from your embrace it attitude to why is food so limited here in Dubai for us with intolerances?
Latest post on 09 September 2012 - 13:45
Why should people miss out on certain things? I disagree that alternatives are not as good, many are 'better' than the original, it also forces people to get more creative with their cooking. People who change to a gluten free diet out of necessity really don't miss it that much once a routine and alternatives have been found - plus it's far better for you anyway. It's like saying why produce non-alcoholic beer, that tastes just like beer?! - for 'obvious' reasons.
Latest post on 09 September 2012 - 13:30
Seen lots of threads on here asking for alternative breads / pastas etc and always wonder why do those who have these intolerance just not embrace the fact that these foods are out of their diet and just forget about them rather than trying to duplicate or imitate the original? Especially when it appears that the alternatives and imitations are not as good. Just wondering. A lot of people who have wheat/rye/barley/gluten intolerance or celiacs, are diagnosed not just at birth. For someone who's diagnosed later in life, it means cutting out a whole slew of food they would have probably eaten their whole life. It means more than just bread no longer being an option, it means spices that contain gluten, pasta, anytype of baked dessert, any type of savoury pastry/pie, certain flavourings that are put onto crisps, popcorn nuts, or snack type food, anything thats fried, soya sauce, certain gravies, sauces - the list goes on and on. I know you preface your question by saying you're just wondering but its quite offensive. Why should't people seek alternatives that fit within their diet? Under your theory, a child who has celiacs should never have a birthday cake, b/c that wouldn't be embracing their health issue. I think thats one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Its no different that suggesting people stop dying their hair when they grey, or shave their bodies of its hair, or wear makeup, or if you have an illness, why bother getting treatment, just embrace it... <em>edited by xmasbaby on 09/09/2012</em>
Latest post on 09 September 2012 - 13:28
Seen lots of threads on here asking for alternative breads / pastas etc and always wonder why do those who have these intolerance just not embrace the fact that these foods are out of their diet and just forget about them rather than trying to duplicate or imitate the original? Especially when it appears that the alternatives and imitations are not as good. Just wondering. First of all, I actually find it pretty offensive (alot) that you would say that we should just 'forget these foods'. Im sure I wont be the only one feeling that way. My 3 year old is Celiac, and my entire house is gluten free. Should I just tell her to 'embrace being celiac' and forget about pasta, cake, cupcakes, sweets, treats, soups, sauces etc etc etc???? I also do not agree with you in the slightest that the alternatives are not as good. The bread I make for my family is delicious and my friends who normally eat gluten will happily eat it too, same with cakes etc. I have had birthday parties with all the food gluten free, and no one even noticed!! Its absolutely ridiculous what you have just posted. I am boiling inside. <em>edited by Purple on 09/09/2012</em>
Latest post on 09 September 2012 - 13:06
Seen lots of threads on here asking for alternative breads / pastas etc and always wonder why do those who have these intolerance just not embrace the fact that these foods are out of their diet and just forget about them rather than trying to duplicate or imitate the original? Especially when it appears that the alternatives and imitations are not as good. Just wondering. I have a wheat/gluten intolerance just recently diagnosed. It's very difficult to give up things you have been eating every day for 40 years overnight, and especially if you love them! And whilst its relatively manageable to change your eating habits when cooking at home it becomes very difficult when eating on the move or packed lunches without bread. Another point is that if you have a family as I do, you don't want them to miss out on eating home baking, but not everyone has the willpower to go without whilst the rest of the family eats cakes. I certainly don't! You are right that the alternatives aren't as good, but can you imagine giving up your favourite foods overnight and then watching your family eat it in front of you. And you wonder why we search for alternatives?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY