alcohol ban on the Pearl | ExpatWoman.com

alcohol ban on the Pearl

Latest post on 09 December 2011 - 13:34

Is it true? I've heard that ALL the restaurants there have been ordered by the Ministry to stop selling alcohol as it's ruining the local culture. If it IS true, I for one, won't bother trekking all the way to the Pearl for a rather average meal with no booze! One step forwards, two steps back.

Latest post on 10 December 2011 - 22:51
Hmmm......There is not a single law in Qatar that legalize the sell of Alcohol The sell of alcohol was allowed to certain extent through Qatar Tourism Authority and Qatar Airways & its subsidiaries The loophole in the constitution is that Islamic law A source of legislation , but not the only source. However, Qatar Panel code articles 270,272 & 273 clearly Provides for a sentence of up three years for anyone who trades Alcohol. A lawsuit in this instance can only be possible through the public prosecutor Now that the parliament election will finally take place in 2013, there is great possibility that many PMs will include the prohibition of alcohol in their election program Unless authorities take a step to regulate the sell of alcohol, there is always a possibility of lawsuits While i don't mind the sell of Alcohol to a certain extent, i salute the government for taking this step to please the public & embrace the local culture Moderate Islamist are winning throughout the Arab world, we welcome them ( if that's what the people want) Read more: http://www.qatarliving.com/node/2364470?page=1#ixzz1g9vsbkqw Quoted from another site..posted there by an informed source
Latest post on 10 December 2011 - 22:45
For what it's worth I don't drink and drive but won't go All The Way to the Pearl for a special night and not enjoy a glass of wine on our wedding anniversary! I put it to you that this ban will be lifted. These restaurants will have legally binding contracts which allow for the service of alcohol and after "talks" the authorities will buckle. It might take weeks or months but I can't see it lasting. Well let's hope so!
Latest post on 10 December 2011 - 19:42
The main point here was made by Carolina - the Pearl restaurants are having action taken against them by the Qatar TOURISM Authority!! I thought the whole idea of tourism was to encourage the tourists..who quite often will want to go out to places such as the Pearl to enjoy an outdoors meal AND a (mostly moderate) drink. And, of course, it's quite nice for those of us who live here to do the same. Who knows how Qatar will cope with the throngs of football fans who'll want to celebrate during the 2022 World cup. I'm sure most of them will not want to quench their thirst with a 7 Up! If you want to play on the world stage you have to factor in the requirements of your global customers.
Latest post on 10 December 2011 - 18:18
Err who said anything about drinking and driving!!!! edited by IrnBru on 10/12/2011 A lot of people DO drive to these places and then get back behind the wheel and drive home after consuming some adult beverages. I'm glad to hear that those who have replied are not among those people, but with there being such severe penalties for driving after even one drink, I was just saying I don't understand why people do that anyway ... I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone by saying that it wouldn't make any difference to me. I understand that there are those who like alcohol with their meals and I'm not one of them. So sorry for sharing my own thoughts on things with you.
Latest post on 10 December 2011 - 17:07
Won't stop us from going to the Pearl to enjoy a nice meal out ... I've never understood why people would take the risk of drinking while out for dinner and then driving home anyway. Err who said anything about drinking and driving!!!! <em>edited by IrnBru on 10/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 10 December 2011 - 16:58
We're on holidays at the moment and I just came on here to check on a rumour that I heard on Facebook re the alcohol ban. Very sad news as I agree that it is a step back - personally I never saw anyone falling over the place drunk at the Pearl and it is going to kill a lot of businesses. DebK - like everyone that I know in Doha, we use a driver/taxi when we go out for dinner and plan to drink - but if I'm going to have a dry meal there are lots of better options near my home that don't involve a 40 minute hassel with Doha traffic!
Latest post on 10 December 2011 - 13:02
I do prefer wine with a meal but we got used to not doing so while in Doha. On the very odd occasion that we had a meal in a hotel (usually the Ramada) we had wine but we preferred to eat out at the souq then back "home" for a bottle of wine! We rarely ate out in the evenings at the Pearl.
Latest post on 10 December 2011 - 10:46
DebK - not everyone who has a drink is stupid enough to drive! I ALWAYS take a taxi, not worth risking everything for the sake of a QR50 taxi ride.
Latest post on 10 December 2011 - 10:34
@Deb - that is what DH is for designated driver!!! :) and I agree the food was only average so hardly worth it now :( <em>edited by ccdoha on 10/12/2011</em>
Latest post on 10 December 2011 - 08:00
Won't stop us from going to the Pearl to enjoy a nice meal out ... I've never understood why people would take the risk of drinking while out for dinner and then driving home anyway.
Latest post on 09 December 2011 - 23:43
ugh, just had friends try and go to mango tree for a glass of wine with dinner. They left immediately as soon as they heard there was no alcohol. We as well won't be eating at the Pearl any longer. =( Didn't really go there for the food to begin with...it was just nice to get away from it all with a glass of wine and a nice view.
Latest post on 09 December 2011 - 23:04
So so SO peed off! I finally was headed out for a Pearl dinner for our 19th (!!!!!) anniversary on Mon night but alas DH not keen without a wine! Where to now??? Cigale? W? Help needed, being a big "entertainer" I hardly ever eat out but would love a beautiful meal with lovely service!!
Latest post on 09 December 2011 - 20:33
Yes it is true. Such a shame as restaurants that aren't busy as it is will close as not enough business on food alone. The tumbleweed will start rolling in shortly.
Latest post on 09 December 2011 - 19:31
This is what I have found out so far : As a result of the constant local complains in social media , two weeks ago prominent legal expert Dr. Hassan Al Sayed written an article calling the General prosecutor to press criminal charges against local establishments that sell alcohol in Public as its unconstitutional. As the Emir have announced the parliament election will take place in 2013 & the constitution now enabled. What's written in the constitution over the prohibition of selling alcohol in public is obscure. Thus, i doubt QDC or 5*star hotels will be effected So far the only action taken was by Qatar tourism Authority against restaurants at the pearl according to this article published on Thursday in Al Sharq newspaper Quoted from another website. <em>edited by carolina on 09/12/2011</em>